There are 2 categories in the Kula Film Competition.
Schools’ Film Competition
Students in secondary schools are invited to make a short minute film in any genre they choose. Film Fiji will vet the scripts for appropriateness before giving approval for production.
The school entries will be judged for:
- Best Film
- Best Director
- Best Actor
- Best Supporting Actor
- Best Actress
- Best Supporting Actress
- Best Script
- Best Cinematography
- Best Sound
- Best Original Score
- Best Set & Art Design
- Best Costume & Makeup
- Best Film Poster
- Most Popular Film
Open Category Film Competition
The “Open Category” which is targeted at budding filmmakers who have left school and want to continue with their film making passion.
In the past, entries have been received from foreign filmmakers. These films will be judged separately. The Open Category honours the Best Film and two Achievement Awards.
- To help you make your film, Film Fiji will conduct training on the basics of filmmaking. We strongly recommend that each school send school representatives to attend these sessions. Film Fiji will provide further information on these training sessions directly to participating schools.
- There is no set theme but scripts must be approved by Film Fiji prior to production.
- The length of the films should be no longer than 10 minutes. Should your film exceed this time, your school may have points deducted.
- An independent panel of judges will review all films submitted.
- The ‘Most Popular Film’ Award will be determined by public voting
- The judges’ decision will be final and no discussion will be entered into.
- Schools are required to submit full names of ALL students involved in the Film Awards (Film Fiji will provide a template).
- The Film Awards will be presented at an Awards Night. Further details on this will be provided closer to the allocated date.