The Film Tax Rebate is available to fully-funded off-shore productions. A Production entity is eligible for a 75% tax rebate, calculated on Total Fiji Expenditure, when it lodges its application at the end of the production. The applicant for rebate must meet all the requirements for Film Tax Rebate set out under Regulation 6 of the Fiji Income Tax (Film-making and Audio-Visual Incentives) Regulations 2016.
What is Total Fiji Expenditure (TFE)?
Total Fiji Expenditure means the production expenditure on goods and services purchased from and paid to a Fiji resident.
Are there Minimum or Maximum amounts of TFE to qualify for this incentive?
There is no minimum percentage of the film that needs to be shot in Fiji. However, there needs to be a minimum Total Fiji Expenditure of FJ$250,000 for large format films, feature films, short films, television shows and television commercials. The maximum allowable tax rebate is FJ$15 million.
What are the requirements for this Incentive?
- The production company must be a locally registered company.
- There is a Minimum Total Fiji Expenditure of FJ$250,000 for large format films, feature films, short films, television shows and television commercials.
- The production company must demonstrate that it is able to release and distribute the film in at least one significant international market.
- The production must only engage a local Line Producer or Coordinator who is a licensed Audio Visual Agent.
- The production company must have Workman’s Compensation for all locals engaged in the production and insurance cover, including public liability cover, for all locations used.
- The production company is required to transfer all production funds to Fiji before commencement of principal photography.
- The production company will be required to submit cost reports and production reports on a fortnightly basis when production commences in Fiji.
- The production company will be required to submit a production schedule before production commences.
- At the end of the production, the production company must submit audited accounts of the production expenditure.
- The production company shall only be eligible for Film Tax Rebate if it applies for the final certificate through a person, lawyer or accountant that is licensed under the Film Fiji (Licensing of Audio-Visual Agents) Regulations 2012.
- The production must acknowledge the Government of Fiji and Film Fiji in the film.
- The content of the final edit must portray Fiji within the story (“Fiji for Fiji”).
Productions must first apply to Film Fiji for a Provisional Approval. The submission of a detailed budget and script is essential.
Relevant application form is available here: https://film-fiji.site/documents/